My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 12, 2013

SOCIAL NOTES FROM THE GALAXY

I do not customarily attend to the news from the social pages, but certain events simply demand that notice be taken.  I have just learned that Captain Picard of the Enterprise will be married, and the ceremony will be presided over by Gandalf.  The reports did not indicate whether Counselor Troi would offer prenuptial advice, or whether Frodo would be the ring bearer.

Those who are sticklers for the literary formalities will of course protest that Captain Picard and Gandalf inhabit two entirely different fictional worlds, and can therefore no more meet than can Phineas Fogg and Sherlock Holmes, or Samuel Pickwick and the aging Elizabeth Bennett.  But it really is true, apparently, that Patrick Stewart will marry his long time partner, and Ian McKellan will officiate.  One of the charming quirks of Massachusetts is that anybody can preside over a marriage, just once, simply by applying for permission -- no clerical collar required.  I know because one of my sons did precisely that.

These are dark days for those of a progressive bent, and I think we need any little emotional lift we can come by.  I for one will lift a glass in silent toast to the happy couple this evening.

5 comments:

Bill Glenn Jr. said...

I've been reading this blog long enough to know (or think I know) that you enjoy science fiction and television (or at least police procedurals on television.)

If you have any free time this summer, you should try watching Person of Interest and see what you make of it. It's a near future utopian/dystopian science fiction show wrapped in the packaging of a police procedural. It has great writing and acting, and it also uses the medium to flesh out various ideas and arguments in artificial intelligence and political philosophy. After watching an episode, my girlfriend and I usually spend as much time talking about the ideas it raises than we did actually watching the episode.

Also, it's produced by Jonathan Nolan and J.J. Abrams, which pretty much means it's being made by Batman and Mr. Spock.

http://io9.com/the-best-hour-of-science-fiction-television-ive-watche-500330036

Robert Paul Wolff said...

Thank you. I will hunt it down and try to see some of it.

Michael Llenos said...

Is it me or were there several creepy parallels between Star Trek Nemesis and Star Trek (2009)? I just hope the younger Kirk doesn't yell out Khan!!!!!! this Friday.

Magpie said...

Something I found really cool on the news was Chris Hadfield, formar ISS commander, singing in gravity zero.

He is a couple of years older than me... Lucky guy.

Michael Llenos said...

I guess I was wrong about Kirk. It was the other guy. Great movie though!