My Stuff

https://umass-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/rwolff_umass_edu/EkxJV79tnlBDol82i7bXs7gBAUHadkylrmLgWbXv2nYq_A?e=UcbbW0

Coming Soon:

The following books by Robert Paul Wolff are available on Amazon.com as e-books: KANT'S THEORY OF MENTAL ACTIVITY, THE AUTONOMY OF REASON, UNDERSTANDING MARX, UNDERSTANDING RAWLS, THE POVERTY OF LIBERALISM, A LIFE IN THE ACADEMY, MONEYBAGS MUST BE SO LUCKY, AN INTRODUCTION TO THE USE OF FORMAL METHODS IN POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY.
Now Available: Volumes I, II, III, and IV of the Collected Published and Unpublished Papers.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON KANT'S CRITIQUE OF PURE REASON. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for "Robert Paul Wolff Kant." There they will be.

NOW AVAILABLE ON YOUTUBE: LECTURES ON THE THOUGHT OF KARL MARX. To view the lectures, go to YouTube and search for Robert Paul Wolff Marx."





Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 26, 2013

BREAKING NEWS -- THE PHILOSOPHER DOES NOT GET LOST

This morning at six a.m., I set out on my morning walk.  My route today was a circumnavigation of the 5th arrondissement -- east along the river to the Jardin des Plantes, southeast along Boulevard de l'Hopital, then south along Boulevard Saint Marcel, turning east along Boulevard du Port Royal all the way to the Port Royal RER station, then north on Boulevard St. Michel to the northeast corner of the Jardin du Luxembourg, turning right up rue Soufflot to Place du Pantheon, and finally down the hill on rue des Carmes to Place Maubert and home.  I had the good sense to take my book of maps with me [and a pair of glasses to read it with], but I did not need it!

There has been a threat of a demonstration today by those opposed to the new law legalizing same sex  marriage.  I shall go out and jeer if they come by our quartier.

Yesterday, Susie and I saw The Great Gatsby [in English.]  It has been negatively reviewed but we enjoyed it.  DeCaprio was a believable Jay Gatsby.  I had only one quibble with the movie.  It represents Daisy as deeply conflicted by the choice between Tom Buchanan and Jay Gatsby, and even shows her calling him [presumably to commit herself to him] just at the moment when he is being shot to death.  That is certainly more tragically romantic, but it misses the whole point of the book.  Oh well.

Tonight a friend is coming to dinner, and I am cooking hazelnut encrusted rabbit with a Gigondas to wash it down.  Yummy.

2 comments:

jrshipley said...

That's a nice long walk. You were not far from rue mouffetard, which is nice to walk up if you never have. There's a nice bistro called les caves de bourgonne near there.

-Jeremy

Robert Paul Wolff said...

See my report on my walk several days ago. I walked south on Mouffetard and then Gobelins to Place d'Italie, but on my way home I got lost by coming out of Italie on the wrong spoke of the wheel. Rue Mouffetard is a great street, with a really wonderful open air market down at the south end.